Atascadero Junior High
This is the Atascadero Junior High
GATE webpage. More information can be at the
AUSD District GATE
The AJHS GATE program was reviewed
by the state of California in May of 2005.
The review states, "Atascadero Junior High clearly provides a
stimulating environment for its gifted learners.....open-ended and challenging
activities within the classroom setting."...."The atmosphere of the
school is dynamic and clearly supportive of gifted learners."
GATE is provided in a GATE specific period each day.
Differentiation -- AJHS follows the guidelines required by Assemby Bill
2313 which guides districts in providing services to GATE students. A primary
focus of the Bill is to insure GATE students be offered a differentiated
curriculum within the regular school day. The text of this bill can be found at
In addition, AJHS offers a variety of classes for both 7th and/or 8th
grade. Examples are: Industrial Arts Classes, Math Counts(a challenging program
that helps to develop strategies in problem solving), CJSF(California Junior
Scholarship Federation), Chess Club, History Day, Mock Trial, Yearbook,
Leadership, Performing Arts, Vocal Arts. More informaton about these programs
becomes available as the year progresses.
students at AJHS are encouraged to take:
- Industrial Arts - intense problem solving and design skills as
students learn to work with their hands and their brains. In the material
classes students learn about a specific material: wood, plastics, metals. The
drawing classes teaches improved writing skills and design.
- Math Counts - a challenging problem solving
program that helps to develop strategies in problem solving in a fun and safe
environment. Students in this program meet weekly and have some field trips to
local problem solving events.
- Mock Trial - is an exciting law-related education program that
introduces students to the American legal system and provides a challenging
opportunity for personal growth, and achievement. As part of the mock trial
- History Day - Participation in the County and
State History Day competitions is encouraged.
- Video Yearbook - 8th graders, be part of the
creation of AJHS's video yearbook. Make sure to speak with Mr. Martin if you
are interested in being a part of this popular class.
- Hardcopy Yearbook - be part of the creation of AJHS's yearbook.
- Writing Contests - GATE students are counseled and encouraged to take
part in the County Writing Contests
- Leadership - plans and carry-out activities that
are fun and exciting for AJHS students.
- Performing Arts -Drama at its best. This is a very high quality program.
- Target Classes (7th and 8th) are Chorus, Band, Leadership, Advanced Art,
Video Production, Performing Arts, Yearbook.
- The Royal Saints Program - rewards and celebrates the achievements of
many of our GATE students.
- California Junior Scholarship Federation - (CJSF) is a national program
for students with good grades. CJSF meets a couple of times a month during
students' lunch time with an emphasis on community projects and encouraging
students in their daily studies. Students must reapply each semester. Seventh
graders may apply in the spring semester of 7th grade.